#1 Golfer Scottie Scheffler arrested, jailed before PGA Championship

Scottie Scheffler, the number 1 golfer in the world right now, was arrested right before the second round of the 2024 PGA Championship. This took place after a man was hit and killed by a shuttle bus that morning and Scheffler was trying to navigate his vehicle around the area, as directed by police. But one cop had something else in mind while directing the traffic and telling Scheffler to stop, but the golfer drove ahead a little bit further and it simply escalated from there.

A little bit of chaos ensued and the officer pretty much attached himself to Scheffler’s car, yanked him out of the vehicle, and arrested him. The golfer faced “charges of second-degree assault of a police officer, third-degree criminal mischief, reckless driving, and disregarding traffic signals from an officer directing traffic. The assault charge is a felony; the others are misdemeanors” according to a sports news report on ESPN. However, Scheffler was released without bail and made it to the course with just under an hour before tee off time. ESPN also quoted a statement from Scheffler’s attorney:

Scheffler’s attorney, Steven Romines, told ESPN that the golfer attempted to enter Valhalla Golf Club as he had been instructed to earlier, unaware there had been a fatal wreck just up the road.

“He was going into Valhalla to work out,” Romines said. “He was getting ready for his tee time. They were directing traffic. He held his credential out and was going in like they’d been instructed to. Apparently, there had been a traffic accident, maybe even a fatality, down the road, and that had changed the traffic patterns, and he was unaware of that.”

Reporter Jeff Darlington (follow him on X), who posted the video, also had a comment from Scottie Scheffler:

Statement from Scottie Scheffler to me: “This morning, I was proceeding as directed by police officers. It was a very chaotic situation, understandably so considering the tragic accident that had occurred earlier, and there was a big misunderstanding of what I thought I was being asked to do. I never intended to disregard any of the instructions. I’m hopeful to put this to the side and focus on golf today. “Of course, all of us involved in the tournament express our deepest sympathies to the family of the man who passed away in the earlier accident this morning. It truly puts everything in perspective.”

Read more sports news and commentary at Raw Dog Sports Blog

Monthly Server Fees

Help Raw Dog Sports cover costs :)
Goal
$420.00
Received
$0.00

Our Community

Sports Forums and Discussion Board.

Threads
Members
Latest member